So I finally purchased my Coachella tix with one of my classmates this week. I'm really excited... haven't quite worked out the babysitting details or who else is planning to go, or even taken a hard look at my school schedule, but all I knows is I'm there that weekend, no matter what. Like I said, I just need to sit on the grass in the sun for a while, listening to some good music.
Speaking of sitting in the sun, I visited the arboretum across the way from school this week for the first time in years. The LA people know, it was so beautiful outside on Tuesday and there was no way I'd waste the first perfect day of the year inside of a stuffy lecture hall learning about old people. I brought my iPod along and listened to "Under the Iron Sea" whilst walking in and among the shadows of leaves, crocuses and bare branches. Then I sat on bench overlooking the water, used my backpack for a pillow and watched a half dozen short-beaked turtles sunbathe with their shelled backs turned to the yellow sun.
I laid on the stiff wooden bench and regarded the intricate pattern of the tree branches that hovered still, dormant above my head and how the reflection of the water created silvery ripples on their underside. A million thoughts raced through my head as I made like a bum laying on a park bench. They included career, friends, family, where I've been and where I might possibly be going. I chased my floaters into all fields of gaze and wished for a vitrectomy. I saw a male blue jay fall madly in love with a female blue jay and shamelessly chase her from limb to limb of a giant oak. I was so still a sparrow flew onto my little bench - I allowed it to remain for just a moment before I rustled so it would fly away.
Time to think and listen to your thoughts is so rare and precious these days. Sometimes thinking can be tiresome and complicated such that I'd rather just stay busy and ignore them for as long as possible. But I believe in perfect days, and every student's inherent right to ditch an hour or two of class to soak in the sun and the life it gives.
No comments:
Post a Comment